Ministry of Railways Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail Link Project (USBRL) has brought in employment, prosperity and connectivity to the people
Ministry of Railways
Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail Link Project (USBRL) has brought in employment, prosperity and connectivity to the people
More than 500 lacs mandays of employment generated so far
This has provided connectivity to 73 villages of far-flung areas benefitting around 1.5 lacs people
Posted On: 14 SEP 2022 6:38PM by PIB Delhi
The USBRL (Udhampur Srinagar Baramulla Rail Link) is a National project undertaken by the Indian Railways for construction of broad-gauge railway line through the Himalayas, with the aim of connecting the Kashmir region with rest of the country. The all-weather, comfortable, convenient and cost effective mass transportation system will be the catalyst for the overall development of the northern most alpine region of the country.
Construction of the first three phases of the project has been completed and the line is in operational use for running of trains between Baramulla-Banihal in Kashmir valley and Jammu-Udhampur-Katra in Jammu region. Work on the intervening 111 Km section Katra-Banihal, the most arduous and treacherous portion due to its geology and extensive riverine system replete with deep gorges, is ongoing. There are several iconic bridges and tunnels coming up in this section. Most of the rail track is slated to be in tunnels or bridges in this section.
The project has brought in employment, prosperity and connectivity to the people. The backward districts of Reasi and Ramban have especially benefitted from the project. Hinterlands hitherto inaccessible now have road connectivity. Medical, Educational, Market and Business activities have become easily reachable for the people. The cost of construction of the 111Km Katra-Banihal section so far has been Rs 30672.34 Cr. The Budget allocation to the Project has increased manifolds since 2014, enabling speedy construction activity.
Employment Generation: –
- Job in Railway to ward of landowner, where more than 75% of their land was acquired.
- Land acquired – 1833.92 Ha. and Jobs given to 799 eligible land givers.
- Employment through contractors: 14069 (around 65% employment to locals).
- More than 500 lacs mandays of employment have been generated so far.
- In addition to this, skill development for artisans, many of them are now employed elsewhere.
Construction of Approach Roads: –
- More than 205 Km long approach roads were constructed which include 1 tunnel and 320 bridges.
- This has provided connectivity to 73 villages of far-flung areas (around 1.5 lacs people benefitted).
- Earlier accessible only by foot or boats; now by 4 wheelers.
- PMGSY roads are now taking off from these approach roads
- Hence, immediate benefits of project execution are reaching the local population.
Various Activities Under Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- 9 Ambulances provided in Ramban District
- 15 Motorised Wheel Chairs.
- Free medical camps held in Banihal, Ramban and Reasi.
- Covid Quarantine centres.
- Medical equipment given to hospitals: Upgradation of medical facility at Govt. hospital Banihal by providing ECG machines, ultra sound machine X ray plant, and C-Arm table.
- Improvement of Educational Infrastructure: School constructed at Ramban & under construction Sumber. Library upgraded at two Govt. Senior Sec. school at Reasi, construction of Portacabin Toilet blocks in ten schools in Ramban district.
- Training Centre for women: One women training center for tailoring and embroidery established at Banihal.
- Water Supply to villages
- Pucca Village roads.
(Release ID: 1859299) Visitor Counter : 72