Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Manufacturing Capacity Posted On: 14 DEC 2021 2:15PM by PIB Delhi ChAdOx1 nCo
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Manufacturing Capacity
Posted On: 14 DEC 2021 2:15PM by PIB Delhi
ChAdOx1 nCoV- 19 Corona Virus Vaccine (Recombinant) (COVISHIELD) is manufactured by M/s Serum Institute of India Pvt., Ltd., Pune, while the Whole Virion Inactivated Corona Virus Vaccine (COVAXIN) is manufactured by M/s Bharat Biotech International Limited, Hyderabad.
As communicated by the M/s Serum Institute of India, the current monthly vaccine production capacity of Covishield is approx. 250-275 Million doses per month.
Further, as communicated by M/s Bharat Biotech International Limited, Hyderabad, the current monthly vaccine production capacity of Covaxin is approx. 50-60 Million doses/month. Both companies have achieved close to 90% of present production capacity.
Moreover, as per the provisions of New Drugs and Clinical Trials Rules, 2019 under Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 and in light of urgent need due to COVID pandemic in the country, CDSCO has granted permissions to following COVID-19 vaccines other than COVAXIN & COVISHIELD for prevention of COVID-19 for restricted use in emergency situation:
Permission For Manufacture of COVID-19 vaccines:
- Gam-COVID-Vac Combined vector vaccine [SPUTNIK-V] manufactured by M/s Ra (biologicals), Panacea Biotec Ltd., New Delhi using imported Ready to Fill (RTF) bulk from M/s Generium JSC, Russia on 02.07.2021.
- Novel Corona Virus 2019-nCoV vaccine [ZyCoV-D] manufactured by M/s Cadila Healthcare Limited, Ahmedabad on 20.08.2021.
- Ad26.COV2-S (recombinant) COVID-19 Vaccine manufactured by M/s Biological E limited, Hyderabad using imported bulk of M/s Johnson & Johnson Pvt. Ltd on 18.08.2021.
- Gam-COVID-Vac Combined vector vaccine [Sputnik–V] manufactured under technology transfer from M/s RDIF, Russia by M/s Hetero Biopharma Limited, Hyderabad on 07.10.2021.
Permission For Import of COVID-19 Vaccines:
- Gam-COVID-Vac Combined vector vaccine [SPUTNIK-V] to M/s Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd, Hyderabad on 12.04.2021.
- mRNA-1273 COVID-19 vaccine (Moderna) to M/s Cipla Limited, Mumbai on 29.06.2021.
- Ad26.COV2-S (recombinant) COVID-19 Vaccine to M/s Johnson & Johnson Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai on 07.08.2021.
The Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, Dr Bharati Pravin Pawar stated this in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha today.
HFW/PQ/Update on Covid-19 Vaccine Manufacturing Capacity/14thDecember2021/4
(Release ID: 1781267) Visitor Counter : 231