Ministry of Railways Earmarking of Accommodation for Women Passengers in Long Distance Trains & Safety & Security Measures for Women Passe
Ministry of Railways
Earmarking of Accommodation for Women Passengers in Long Distance Trains & Safety & Security Measures for Women Passengers in Indian Railways
Posted On: 17 DEC 2021 4:30PM by PIB Delhi
Indian Railways have earmarked following accommodation for female passengers:
- A reservation quota of six berths in sleeper class in long distance Mail/Express trains and a reservation quota of six berths in 3AC class of Garib Rath/Rajdhani/Duronto/fully air- conditioned Express trains have been earmarked for female passengers irrespective of their age travelling alone or in a group of female passengers.
- A combined reservation quota of six to seven lower berths per coach in Sleeper class, four to five lower berths per coach each in Air Conditioned 3 tier (3AC) and three to four lower berths per coach in Air Conditioned 2 tier (2AC) classes (depending on the number of coaches of that class in the train) has been earmarked for senior citizens, female passengers 45 years of age and above and pregnant women.
‘Police’ and ‘Public Order’ are State subjects under the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of India and, as such, State Governments are responsible for prevention, detection, registration and investigation of crime and maintaining law and order etc. on Railways through their law enforcement agencies viz. Government Railway Police (GRP)/District Police. However, Railway Protection Force (RPF) supplements the efforts of GRP/District Police to provide better protection and security of passenger area and passengers and for matters connected therewith.
Further, the following steps are also being taken by the Railways in coordination with GRP for safety and security of passengers including women passengers in trains and at stations: –
- A Pan-India initiative “Meri Saheli” was launched by RPF on 17.10.2020 with the objective to provide enhanced safety and security to lady passengers travelling by trains for their entire journey i.e. from the originating station to destination station. The focus is to provide the security to lady passengers especially those travelling alone and to instill a sense of security in them. Teams of lady officers and staff have been formed who are well trained and briefed about the objective.
- On vulnerable and identified routes/sections, trains are escorted by Railway Protection Force in addition to trains escorted by Government Railway Police of different States, daily.
- Railway Help Line number 139 is operational (24×7) over Indian Railways for security related assistance to passengers in distress.
- Through various social media platforms viz. twitter, facebook etc., Railways are in regular touch with passengers including women to enhance security of passengers and to address their security concern.
- Frequent announcements are made through Public Address System to educate passengers to take precautions against theft, snatching, drugging etc.
- Ladies Special trains running in Metropolitan cities are being escorted by lady RPF personnel. In other trains, where escorts are provided, the train escorting parties have been briefed to keep extra vigil on the lady passengers travelling alone, ladies coaches en-route and at halting stations.
- Drives are conducted against entry of male passengers into the compartments reserved for ladies.
- CCTV cameras have been provided in 4934 coaches and 838 Railway stations for enhancing security of passengers.
- State Level Security Committee of Railways(SLSCR) have been constituted for all States/Union Territories under the Chairmanship of respective Director General of Police/Commissioner of States/Union Territories for regular monitoring and review of security arrangements of the Railways.
10. Emergency Talk Back System and Closed-Circuit Television Surveillance Cameras have been provided in ladies compartments/coaches of all newly manufactured Electrical Multiple Unit (EMU) and Air-conditioned rakes of Kolkata Metro. Flasher lights have also been provided in ladies coaches in EMU rakes in some zonal Railways.
This information was given by the Minister of Railways, Communications and Electronic & Information Technology, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID: 1782695) Visitor Counter : 137