Ministry of Road Transport & Highways Registration Process for Vintage Motor Vehicles formalized Posted On: 18 JUL 2021 11:45AM by PIB Delhi
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways
Registration Process for Vintage Motor Vehicles formalized
Posted On: 18 JUL 2021 11:45AM by PIB Delhi
Ministerof Road Transport and Highways Shri Nitin Gadkari has saidwith an aim to preserve and promote the heritage of vintage vehicles, the registration process of Vintage Motor Vehicles has been formalized.In a tweet he said with no existing rules for regulating the process of registration across different states, the new rules shall provide a hassle-free process along with salient features such as retention of old number for already registered vehicles and a “VA” series (Unique Registration Mark) for fresh registrations.
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has amended CMVR 1989, formalising the registration process of vintage motor vehicles. This is aimed at preserving and promoting the heritage of old vehicles in India.
- All 2/4 wheelers, 50+ years old, maintained in their original form and which have not undergone any substantial overhaul, shall be defined as Vintage Motor Vehicles.
- Application for registration/re-registration shall be made as per Form 20 and shall be accompanied by an insurance policy, fee, bill of Entry in case of imported vehicles, and old RC in case of an already registered vehicle in India.
- The State Registering Authority shall issue a certificate of registration as per Form 23A, within 60 days.
- Vehicles already registered can retain their original Registration Mark. However, for fresh registration, registration mark will be assigned as “XX VA YY*”, where VA stands for vintage, XX stands for State Code, YY will be a two-letter series and “8” is a number from 0001 to 9999 allotted by the State Registering Authority.
- Fees for a new registration – Rs. 20,000 and subsequent re-registration – Rs. 5,000.
- Vintage motor vehicles shall not be driven on roads for regular/commercial purposes.
(Release ID: 1736506) Visitor Counter : 143